Saturday, September 26, 2009

Arches National Park

Got to Moab around 3p.m. Got set up then took a drive into town to get a couple of groceries. Got that done then ordered a pizza from Pizza Hut while it was getting ready we went to the tourist center and picked up a couple of maps for 4 wheel driving and of course some souvenirs. Then back to pick up the pizza. Ate dinner and read for awhile then Bill surprised me by suggesting we go to Arches Park for sunset. Didn’t have to say that twice. Got my protesting toe into some tennis shoes and I was ready to go. At the ranger booth for the park they exchanged our Golden Age Passport for their new card – called Senior Pass. Another $10 saved. We were here about four years ago and toured the whole park so this time we went right to the Window Arches area. Not much talking in this post just pictures. Passed some beautiful formations, especially with the setting sun shining on them.
One in particular was really neat as a near by formation called the Three Gossips was silhouetted on it.
I’m getting pretty good taking pictures from a moving car! Passed the Balanced Rock
and turned towards the Windows Section. Surprisingly there were quite a few people still there. I went trotting up towards the rocks, trusty camera in hand. Bill remained me to be careful of my foot but didn’t say anything else, just kept up with me. And wouldn’t you know while looking up I stubbed my foot and tripped. Got up quick and hoped he didn’t notice it. In this area there are three different windows. This smaller one North Window
The main big one South Window
And the Turret Arch – I think it looks like a key hole.
Getting a little closer to the main window – my pet peeve is people who stand right in front of a beautiful scene and take a zillion pictures of themselves – then keep standing there while looking at the pictures they just took – GRRRRRRRR. I’m getting pretty good at photo shopping them out of my pictures. One or two okay but five minutes and 25 pictures. Enough of that – it was too pretty there to be annoyed.
So some pictures of South Window.


And one even has The Driver in it. It was very windy up there – gusty enough to move me.




Turned around and looked the other way and managed to get this sunset one.


As we were driving out took more pictures that I want to share.

Can you see the sliver of the moon in this one?

This is one of the most magnificent areas around. In fact I was checking the Thesaurus for better words – splendid came up but that isn’t strong enough. Glorious is closer.


Tomorrow some pictures of your 4 wheel drive adventure and Canyonlands National Park.

1 comment:

  1. WOW CAROL, THOSE PHOTO'S ARE REALLY BEAUTIFUL! YOU'VE DONE YOUSELF PROUD! WISH I WERE THERE. KEEP TELLING D I WANT TO VISIT THAT REGION AGAIN. MAYBE NEXT SPRING. LOVE YA BOTH--XO--JEN

    ReplyDelete