Sunday, September 6, 2009

ON THE ROAD AGAIN

Finally left Nashville at 8:30 Sunday a.m.
Hooking up was a little different this time. We always go down off our curvy road to a place where the road is wide to hook up. Using the new tow bar for the first time. Bill says it is a much better design then the old one – both are the same brand – more safe guards on the new one. That went okay. This time though the plug for the lights was different so Bill had to get a new system – so now Willie had mouse ears sticking out from the sides. They work fine.
Rained last night and was pretty dark and dreary when we were leaving.
And wouldn’t you know that it started to rain just as we got out of Bloomington. Rained until we got into Illinois. Not hard just enough to lets us know it was raining and that one thing we hadn’t checked was the condition of the windshield wipers. Yep – need to be replaced.
Not too many rattles or squeaks. The Driver says he can feel the weight of Willie when going down the highway. Took us five hours to make the 193 mile trip. That included gas and lunch so not too bad. Just moseyed along. The Driver getting used to the handling of Jennie and Willie.
Going into Illinois - Do we need wipers or what - Driver's side worked better than my side.
Don’t know what I did with the Indiana/Illinois map. I know I had it out looking at it the other day but for the life of me I can’t find it now. Sure glad I took the road atlas out of Alfie and put it in here. I like to see the overall trip – not just the little screen on Gypsy. She did a good job today though, found Flying J and the campground with no weird detours.
My toe is much better – well considering how it was yesterday.
Not too swollen but more black and blue. Feels much better without a shoe than with a shoe. (Bill says I’m setting myself up for bumping it again.) Chance I have to take.
The TV using the satellite dome is working fine (good thing as there is a Sprint Cup race tonight – can’t miss it.) And the park has Wi-fi so I don’t have to activate my Verizon yet.
The dash air and roof air work really good. And the refrigerator and freezer seem to be doing their thing with no problems.
Not much in the way of pictures today – scenery was trees, corn or soy beans. Or soy beans, corn and trees. Until we got to Illinois then just soy beans and corn. Except for the GIANT cross just outside of Effington (how would you like to live in a town with that name?) Just off the highway is a huge cross.
Checked it out on-line - It’s 198 feet tall and 113 feet wide and is made out of over 180 tons of steel. It is anchored in lots of cement and can withstand winds “hurled by evilest of forces at up to 145mph.” Quotes from its Internet site. Surrounding it are tablets listing the Ten Commandments. No we didn’t stop – noticed it too late to get off freeway. Did notice that a lot of the trees are changing color already.
I hope we get home before the best days of the color.
Just staying here overnight and we got a pull through site so not even unhooking the car.
I updated our location on the DataStorm map – we’re the only users around here.
Guess I’d best find a stop for tomorrow night – hopefully most of the Rvers will be heading for home for tomorrow night.
Put Jennie's picture up but not sure I like it - will take a few more in the next couple of days and put a nicer one up.

No comments:

Post a Comment